Friday, February 3, 2012

Back to school: my first college class in months

A few days ago, I had the opportunity to attend class with the chapter president at Maryland. The first thing I learned? I miss class – it was nice to be back in a setting where I could take notes, learn things, and interact with other students. Anyways. This wasn’t just any class – it was President’s Class!

The University of Maryland offers a class for presidents of all Greek organizations – NPC, NIC, NPHC, MCG –  that meets three hours per week. The curriculum involves learning about leadership and discussing community issues.

What a brilliant idea.

The class not only ensures that chapter presidents are continuously thinking about values and what it means to be a leader, it also strengthens the Greek community – every council included. It is facilitated by someone from the Fraternity and Sorority Life office, and serves as a way to monitor and maintain the integrity of the Greek system.

During the class I attended, we discussed what it means to be a leader. We also talked about stereotypes of each council, and learned things about councils other than our own. I was impressed by how open, honest, non-judgmental, and participative every member of the class was.

Why doesn’t every University place value on training it’s campus leaders and building a sense of community?

Honestly, how many problems could be solved by bringing all parties to the table and teaching them how to be mature, responsible, values-based leaders? By teaching them what is expected of them and helping them to take personal responsibility not only for the success of their own organizations but also for the success of the community?

I really miss the feeling I used to get following a really great class – the mind-going-a-mile-a-minute-processing-all-the-new-ideas feeling. Maybe I’ll start requesting to be taken to class with collegians?

No comments:

Post a Comment