Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Commitment Day/Preparing for Miss Virginia with Integrity

I follow FitFluential on Twitter, and they host regular health and fitness chats. Tonight's was about Commitment Day 2012, which is a nationwide movement to make January 1, 2013 a day to make a commitment to yourself. The final question of the chat was:

Fill in the blank: I commit to ________ in 2013.

I thought about it before I added my two cents to the conversation. And then it hit me -- I commit to prepare to compete in swimsuit for Miss Virginia in a way that I would want the girls I coach to emulate.


I'll make my first and only trip to Miss Virginia next June, where I will be at the top of the age group and at the bottom of the experience ladder. I want to give it the best I've got.

Like every girl competing, I really want to be Miss Virginia. I want to travel the state, impacting young women, being a role model.

But I only want to be Miss Virginia -- heck, I only deserve to be Miss Virginia -- if I can get there in a healthy way that I would want my 3rd through 5th graders to look up to. And that means no crazy dieting.

Today, as we are six months away from Miss Virginia, I want to commit to preparing myself for every area of competition with integrity -- I want to be true to myself, my platform, the girls I work with.

I'm also committing to blogging more - sharing the how of my preparation: workouts, recipes, motivation tips, so that you can get in swimsuit competition shape too. Okay, maybe not, but you'll probably be sporting a swimsuit in June too, even if it's not on a stage. And besides, exercise gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy... at least that's what Legally Blonde taught me :)










2 comments:

  1. Jen - I love this commitment so much! You know we both share experiences within MAO, and in the late 90's - early 2000's, when I competed, I was struck by how health and self-care took a back seat to creating a "lean package." I know that mentally and emotionally, you'll be better for this holistic commitment to being your best self. No trick or gimmick can get you looking as good as a commitment to modeling the way for wellness. I was watching my pageant sisters prepare, and I always thought more of the ones who did so with personal health as a focus. Get it, lady!
    ITB,
    Cori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cori! I feel so much cooler knowing that you read my blog! I think you would be happy to see how many girls are focused on being fit, rather than skinny, now -- at least that's how it is in Virginia. And honestly, that's how it should be. The current Miss Virginia is such an awesome role model - her platform is healthy living/fitness, and she leads workouts with elementary school students!

      You owe me stories about your MAO days :) ITB

      Delete