Saturday, August 6, 2011

You can waste your life drawing lines or you can live your life crossing them

One thing you should know about me: I am absolutely terrified of heights.

One thing you should know about Monday: I climbed up a telephone pole, stood on top, and jumped.

IMG00619-20110802-1546

Monday was our day at the ropes course. We started the morning with team building activities, then spent the afternoon on the high ropes, and then ended the day with what is called the “pamper pole.”

Essentially, you get strapped into a harness, then are attached to a rope anchored by two people, and then climb up to the top of the pole. Once at the top, the challenge is to stand up and then jump off towards a hanging soccer ball.

So why would a person who is terrified of heights put themselves through this? Simply put, this year is about testing my limits.

Borrowing a line from Grey’s Anatomy, “(Boundaries) fence you in.” This year is not about fencing myself in. It’s about pushing myself outside of my comfort zone so that I can grow as an individual and experience things that I never would have tried in the past.

Monday, I started with the pamper pole. And you know what? Free-falling and knowing that I had faced my fears was pretty darn exciting. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going and signing up to go skydiving. But baby steps? Baby steps are pretty awesome.

Title: Grey’s Anatomy

No comments:

Post a Comment