Tuesday, March 13, 2012

What I learned this week – 3/13 edition

Today’s facts are sports-heavy. What can I say, it was a sports-filled week!

1. That your chance of achieving a perfect bracket for March Madness are 1: 9.2 quintillion! Those are terrible odds. None-the-less, I love taking part in creating a bracket with absolutely zero background knowledge, and then talking smack like I know everything there is to know about college basketball. What can I say? I’m a competitor :) If you want to at least fake that you know what’s going on, check out blindfold brackets from the Wall Street Journal, which lets you easily compare stats of teams that are playing each other without seeing which team is which!

2. Sometimes, pandas ride airplanes too!

panda

3.That Juarez, Mexico is literally on the other side of the road from El Paso, TX. I flew into El Paso and then was driven to Las Cruces, NM, where I am now. While we were driving, they were explaining to me how past CDCs had been in shock at how close Mexico was.. so of course I asked how close! Their response? “Look to your left. That’s Mexico. This road was actually shut down a little bit ago because there was a shoot-out by a Mexican drug cartel.” Oh. Okay. Thanks for that, guys.

4. The average ERA of the Baltimore Orioles’ starting five is over 4.00. Oh boy, it’s going to be a long baseball season. But hey, when it’s been 14 straight losing seasons, you learn to really just love watching the game and following your team. And I am so excited to get to go to spring training this weekend! Especially since my dad will be coming down for games with me!

5. Teachability is not a word. What? But teachable is. So what word would you use for the characteristic of being teachable? Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment