Monday, July 30, 2012

Egg whites: one of my favorite foods!

I know most people think they're gross, but I actually really love egg whites. And that's a good thing, because my new plan has me eating a minimum of six egg whites every day, more if I choose. Egg whites are a pretty solid choice nutritionally because they're pure protein - one large egg white has four grams of protein and only 16 calories.

The easiest way to prepare them is to cook yourself an egg patty in the microwave. I picked this up from another blog I read called Run, Eat, Repeat, and it's so simple that I have to share! Basically, you get a microwave-safe bowl, spray it with cooking spray, and put four egg whites into it. Microwave it for 1.5 minutes, but be sure to take it out of the microwave if it starts to pop (otherwise you'll end up with a mess). If you sprayed the bowl prior to cooking, your egg patty will slide right out either onto a plate or only a homemade breakfast sandwich.

Here are my favorite ways to eat egg whites:

By themselves: sprinkle with salt and pepper (or my favorite, garlic powder!) and serve with ketchup on the side. I use reduced sugar ketchup, and I actually like it better than regular.

In psuedo-fried rice: I make fake fried rice by combining cooked brown rice, egg white, veggies, and seasonings in a pan on the stove. Combine until the egg whites are cooked and enjoy!

In a one-bowl-mess: Basically, I top a base of brown rice with vegetables, chicken, egg whites (scrambled on the stove), and tomato sauce. This is one of my favorite meals to eat.

On a breakfast sandwich: Toast a bagel thin or a deli thin, spread cream cheese lightly on one side and place a slice of cheese on the other. Top the side with the slice of cheese on it with an egg white patty and then add a spoonful of tomato sauce or pesto for extra flavor.

You can also use egg whites in smoothies, oatmeal, pancakes, and more for extra protein. Egg whites really have no taste to them, which means they take on the taste of whatever you cook them with!

Any other ideas of how to use egg whites? I've got a lot to eat and could use some suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I love to scramble mine with some spinach and a small diced tomato. yum!

    ReplyDelete