Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reclaiming personal time

It’s almost surreal to be back at Executive Offices, preparing to head out on my second semester of travels. If you haven’t seen it yet, I’ve updated my right sidebar with my spring semester schedule. It’s pretty exciting that I’ll get to visit so many new states I’ve never been to before, including Washington, Oregon, Montana, New Mexico, Colorado, and Illinois. This job is really giving me an incredible opportunity to see the country, and I am extremely grateful to be able to go so many places with incredible mountain views this spring!

Over the break, I took a lot of time to evaluate my last semester and what worked for me, and what I wanted to change for this semester.

I’m sure all of you who work in different fields can relate, but last semester I found myself eating, sleeping, and breathing my job. While it meant that I was able to give a lot to the chapters, I also found that in the process, I was beginning to lose myself. I don’t mean that to be incredibly deep or sad or anything, just that when I stopped setting aside time to do the things I loved beyond DG, I started to forget about my passions outside of my job.
165718461257880074_2noCb22x_c
(via Pinterest)
Luckily, break was a great time to step back and spend time on me – I got to spend time with my family, get back in the gym, and visit Athens. I even got to catch up with friends from home, which was a treat! I set new fitness goals (see: my last post), got a Kindle, and even began exploring job opportunities. I found new TV shows I love (hello Biggest Loser, The Bachelor, and Once Upon a Time), downloaded new tunes to my iPod, and volunteered with the Salvation Army.

I rediscovered my passions. And I’ve started bringing them back into my life.

I love to write. I’ve always loved to write. In elementary school, I entered writing contests, in middle school, I worked on yearbook, and then in high school, I wrote for the school paper. Even in college, I put my love to use writing letters to the editor and opinion columns for the Red and Black. This semester, there’s going to be more content on this blog as I give myself more time to write. I’ll try to stay away from politics, I promise!

While growing up, I used to get books mailed to me monthly. Four Baby Sitters Club books a month, to be exact. And I used to be the kid who sneakily read under the covers, by flashlight, after I was supposed to be asleep. Somewhere, between all the mandatory books I had to read for classes, I stopped reading for pleasure. I’m not sure why, because reading was something that I used to get so much joy out of, but somewhere along the way, the reading for fun disappeared. This year, with the recent gift of a Kindle, I am planning on reading at least one book a month. This month, I’m working on Moneyball, and I’ve also got Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and The Happiness Project just waiting to be read. I plan on doing lots of reading on my cross country flights!

As you read in my last post, I’m training for a half marathon. Yesterday I completed my first training run, 3 miles on the treadmill. I am feeling it a little in my legs today, but it’s that slight soreness that reassures you that you’re easing your body back into fitness. I’m excited to run another three miles today. I’ve even added a mileage counter to my blog – it’s on the right sidebar on the bottom.

And, just for fun, I’ve made it a goal to get through the first five seasons of Friends. Season one is cued up on iTunes as we speak!

I tell you all of this because, you, the reader of my blog, may be exposed to a wide variety of posts. I’ll be talking about chapter visits, cool things and places I experience, how my running is going, books I am reading, maybe even sports (one of my biggest passions of all!). I spent the last few days trying to decide which direction I wanted to take with my blog – would I be a fitness blog or a travel blog or just a life blog? The answer is that I’m going to be a smorgasbord. I love and care about so many different things, and I want to reserve the right to blog about anything and everything! Perhaps the blog will evolve over time, but until then, I’m just going to write about whatever I feel like.

My guess is that the quality will be better when it is not forced :)

No comments:

Post a Comment